Pages

Friday, October 6, 2017

Jesus Loves Me - And That Changes Everything

The Gospel changes everything.  Every part of my life is impacted by the fact that Jesus loves me and gave His life for me.  Because of the cross, I have my sin forgiven and I have the power to live a life pleasing to my Savior.  The Gospel changes me, and it changes the way I do life and interact with those around me.

Lately I've been thinking about how the Gospel informs the way that I interact with children.  Being a Christian means that the way I teach and love kids will look different than the way the world interacts with them.  My goal is not to teach behavior modification.  It's not to make them look like good kids so that everyone is impressed with how good a teacher I am (at least it shouldn't be).  It's not even to help them grow up to be successful in the world's eyes.  My goal is to point them to Jesus.

I want the kids in my life to know Jesus. Not a head knowledge, but an intimate relationship with Him.  I want them to know how loved they are by Him, and I desire that they grow in their love for Him. The point of teaching or disciplining them is not to force them to change their behavior and be "good" kids.  The point is to use each of those interactions to show them the Gospel.

This month's writing prompt over at Compassion is to share how being a Christian changes the way we care for children in poverty.  Compassion's goal is not simply to release children from poverty and educate them, but also to tell them that there is a God who loves them and died for them.

I love that I get to be a part of that by sponsoring a child through Compassion!  Carley gets to read letters from me that share with her how loved she is.  She gets to interact with my Sunday School kids and realize that there are other kids her age who love Jesus and love and pray for her.  It's a beautiful thing to get to watch as God works in her life, and I pray that she will learn to know and love Him!

Jesus loves me.  Jesus loves them.  And that changes everything!


No comments: